Monday, July 6, 2015

My Summer Reading List

For most of my life, I have been a list maker. I loved making lists. I loved checking things off. Almost 2 years ago, I sold a business in which I was far too busy for far too long. It took a toll on me. When I sold the business, I stopped making lists, and for the most part, I also stopped accomplishing much of anything. So, in the spirit of trying to move on and grab a piece of my old life back, I am making a summer reading list- a rather ambitious list with 14 books included- and I worry that I am making it too big or that I am not leaving enough room for spontaneous reading or gems that I come across over the summer, but guess what? This list is not written on a concrete tablet and neither is it a binding contract. It is simply a way for me to remember the books I want to read so I don't forget any of them and for motivation to try to complete a list so that I can jump up and down and say, "yay for me" and "yay for lists".

Fiction (including fluff- don't judge)

1. The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards
2.The Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon
3. City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare
This is the fifth book in the City of Bones series. It is teen fiction and I enjoy it. Sue me.
4. City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare
5. Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
6. Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare
7. Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare

Non-fiction

1. 1000 Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are by Ann Voskamp
I find Ann's blog and pretty much anything she does incredibly inspiring and also envy inducing because she just knows her way around words, feelings, and thoughts like nobody's business.
2. The Life-changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of De-cluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondo
I saw this book mentioned on a blog. I think it was Apartment Therapy. I put it on hold at my local library and I am something like 200th in line for it. With a wait like that, I'm hoping it's a miracle maker.
3. Notes from a Blue Bike: The Art of Living Intentionally in a Chaotic World by Tsh Oxenreider
Tsh is a blogger at The Art of Simple.
4. Hold onto Your Kids: Why Parents Need to Matter More than Peers by Gordon Neufeld
So many people have been recommending this book for so long that, even though my youngest is 14 now, I feel like I have to read it or there will be some profound piece missing from my life.

Books I am reading aloud to my 14 year old

1. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
I never read this book as a child. My oldest read it and loved it. We started reading this aloud with another girl that I invited over to join our homeschooling one day a week, but she hasn't been able to come for awhile so we will be continuing on our own.
2. The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann David Wyss
I never read this book either, but I love, love, loved the little tv series that used to be on when I was younger. I even named one of my dolls Samantha after the doll of the little girl on the show. I am hoping the book will be as good as the show and plan to watch the show again after as well.

Recipe Books

1. Oh She Glows by Angela Liddon
Essentially I have already "read" this book. Putting it on this list means that I want to make as many recipes as possible from the book and experience the book. This is one where I discovered the book first, which then led me to her blog instead of the other way around.

No comments: